20 Apr 2011

Countdown to Chemo

As some of you know, we returned prematurely from our vacation on Cat Island, Bahamas because of a medical emergency.  Emergency indeed, I underwent major surgery four days later. 
Yesterday was my post-op checkup with the surgeon and visit to my medical oncologist.  All is well in the surgical department - the wound is healing nicely and I was given the OK to resume gentle yoga.  However, with a slightly elevated CA125 and a chronically manic form of ovarian cancer, my med onc and I agreed that it would be in my best interest to resume chemotherapy. 
As a veteran of chemo - I know what to do...but in light of the recent surgery, it's going to take a lot more effort to prepare for this two-week countdown. It goes without saying, that one's spiritual practice is the most important resource in your cancer healing arsenal. 
Secondly, as I've lost a great deal of weight, I need to pack on the protein; I need to up the greens - both juicing and raw; I need to assess what supplements are necessary to boost the immune system and I need to physically prepare my body for the onslaught.

Today's shopping list includes:
  • organic hemp protein
  • maca-root
  • bee pollen
  • Vega whole food optimizer
  • Vitamin D3
  • organic full spectrum mushroom powders - reiki, maitake, shitake and turkey tail (to boost chemo effectiveness)
  • omega3 capsules
  • Vitamin B12/B6 and Alpha lipoic acid
  • blueberries and mango
I have a tray of wheatgrass growing and seeds soaking for the second batch...
Now to try a few gentle yoga stretches...ohmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...did I say ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhh??
Maybe I'll just stick to chair exercises today...I'll try the cat/cow again tomorrow.




Here are links for the above-mentioned products:

Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein 50% Protein Per Serving, 3-Pound Bag
Sunfood Maca (Organic, Raw), 8-Ounce Bags (Pack of 2)
Bee Pollen (USA) - 1 Lb. - Bulk
Roland Dried Shiitake Mushrooms, 12-Ounce Package
Vega Complete Whole Food Health Optimizer, Vanilla Chai Flavor, 34.9 oz
NOW Foods Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240 Softgels,
Natrol - Omega-3, 150 softgels
Nature Made Vitamin B-12 1,000 mcg Time Release - 300 Tablets
Source Naturals Vitamin B-6 Pyridoxine 500mg Time Release, 100 Tablets (Pack of 2)
NOW Foods Alpha Lipoic Acid 250mg, 120 Vcaps

No comments: