12 May 2011

Chemo Plus 7

I'm back!    I apologise for the delay in reporting on my chemo but I've been busy experiencing all the colours of the rainbow.  Well, not really all of them - just mostly my favourite - green.  The now-famous words of my last blog that "ondansetron works very well for me" came back to roost with a vengeance.  For a period of four days, I thought I was in a clinical trial where I knew, I was given the placebo!
Oh well, that was then and this is now.  Back on course - I've just finished juicing wheatgrass, brussel sprouts, kale, apple, carrots, beets - what - now you're turning green?!  Sorry, but it is seriously good for you.

At the same time, I've been occupied with a brand new experience - "acu-puncture".  I've been involuntarily given "acu-puncture" on my hands, ears, toes, ankles, elbows, end of my nose, hair, and anywhere else that a 10 week old puppy with tiny pin-like teeth can bite.  "Acu" indeed in that he never misses an opportunity to accurately nail some body part if it's near.  I'm thinking (always positively) that in this case, I can potentially benefit from the "placebo effect"!
All kidding aside, the nausea was bad enough to require an IV anti-emetic administered by home nursing. Thank heavens that option was available because I truly didn't want to see the inside of a hospital again so soon.  That being said, let me remind you of a few real post-chemo emergencies:
First and most importantly - a fever (see Blood Disorders) - anything over 38C or 100.5F
Second - any sustained or worsening pain
Third - any allergic reactions within 24 hours of your infusion
Fourth - more than 48 hours of constipation/diarrhea/vomiting or other unexplained bowel/abdominal problems
Certain of the foregoing can form the basis of life-threatening issues and must be dealt with urgently.
Finally, many, many thanks to the family and friends of SunflowerSisters who are running/walking/supporting on Sunday to raise awareness and funds for ovarian cancer research here in London, Ontario.  Go team go!!

No comments: